I am teaching Year 2 Mathematics in SJK (C) Kampung Gajah. Recently, they are learning multiplication of 2,3,4 and 5 . So they have to memorize the multiplication table.
A few days ago, I asked a Malay student, Siti who is a very cheerful girl to read the multiplication table of two and four. As this is a chinese school, the Malay students have to learn everything in chinese. Although they are just Year 2, some of them can speak mandarin quite fluently). She was very confident and started it.
" e si ba (饿死吧= hungry until die)"
" si yi si (死一死= try to die )
I forced myself not to laugh because I knew she was trying to say 2 x 4 = 8 ( 二四八)and 4 x 1 = 4 ( 四一四)
The class monitor is a very cute boy. His name is Chee Hong. His friends like to call him as little fatty.
One day, he forgot my name and made a mistake by calling me another name. I pretended to get angry and joked with him. I deliberately did not call his name to answer the questions.
"I have forgotten who Chee Hong is and I do not want to call this name" I said.
He got panicked and kept making all kind of noises to draw my attention. Finally he gave up.
" Ceh, I do not want to answer anymore " he said.
" OK la, I was just kidding with you. Chee Hong, it is your turn" I said
" Don't want" he said.
" I thought your name is Chee Hong? Okay, I call you little fatty next time. "
He stood up immediately and answered the questions. Then he said,
" Don't call me little fatty , OK? "
The class was laughing.
After finished class, I heard him saying,
" mi cai lai le = 米菜来了" (rice and vegetables are coming)
I wondered what was happening. Then finally I understood. He was trying to say " Ms Chai lai le "
Enjoying my teaching life..
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment